Premier League stars launch fund to 'help' health service virus fight

Premier League stars launch fund to 'hel...

Premier League players announced they had launched an initiative to generate funds for Britain's National Health Service (NHS) to help against the coronavirus pandemic.

The idea -- named #PlayersTogether -- has been set up on Wednesday to "help those fighting for us on the NHS frontline" during the COVID-19 outbreak.

"It is about we, as players, collaborating together to create a voluntary initiative, separate to any other league and club conversation," a statement from the group said.

"To try and help, along with so many others in the country, to make a real difference," it added.

Individuals such as league leaders Liverpool's captain Jordan Henderson, Tottenham's Harry Kane and Arsenal's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang were among those to post on social media about the move.

Earlier this week, the Premier League proposed wage cuts of 30 percent but talks have hit a stumbling block, with the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) warning the NHS could suffer from the loss of tax receipts.

The league's chief executive Richard Masters admitted the virus fall-out could cost the top-flight "at least 1 billion pound" (USD 1.23 billion, 1.13 billion euros).

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor said the players had "agreed to play their part" as pressure mounts to find a collective pay deal.

'Take our time'

England's top-flight stars had come under heavy fire over their lack of action, which contrasts sharply with significant pay cuts taken by players at other leading European clubs such as Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Manchester United attacker Marcus Rashford defended his fellow players.

"I think there has been plenty of occasions, for me personally, where we've tried to help but we've not helped in the best way possible," Rashford told BT Sport.

"You can get some backlash from that. We wanted to take our time with the decision," he added.

British Health Secretary Matt Hancock was originally among senior politicians calling for players to take a cut and "play their part".

"Warmly welcome this big-hearted decision from so many Premier League footballers to create #PlayersTogether to support NHS Charities. You are playing your part," he tweeted after the Wednesday's announcement.

On Tuesday, English Football Association chief Greg Clarke called on players and fans to "share the pain to keep the game alive".

Appearing at an FA Council meeting, Clarke warned football faces economic challenges "beyond the wildest imagination of those who run it" as a result of the health emergency.

Spurs have come under pressure from fans to follow Jurgen Klopp's side in reversing their decision to use public money to pay employees.

The Reds, the European champions and the world's seventh richest club, ditched their controversial plan to furlough some of their non-playing staff during the virus on Monday after coming under intense pressure from ex-players and fans.

More than 60,000 people, including Prime Minister Boris Johnson who is being treated at an intensive care unit, have tested positive for COVID-19 in Britain, and more than 7,000 have died from the virus.


PostedOn: 09 Apr 2020 Total Views: 212




Hockey legend Balbir Singh Sr, a hero of...

Hockey legend Balbir Singh Sr, a hero of young Ind...

He was supreme centre forward at a time when Indian hockey was in its halcyon days Chandigarh: Hockey legend and one of India's greatest sporting heroes, Balbir Singh Sr, died at a hospital in Chandigarh on Monday after battling multiple health issues for over two weeks. The three-time Olympic gold ...

25 May 2020

Japan's Abe says impossible to hold Olym...

Japan's Abe says impossible to hold Olympics unles...

It will be impossible to host the Tokyo Olympic Games next year unless the coronavirus pandemic is contained, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Wednesday. The International Olympic Committee and the Japanese government postponed the Games last month until July 2021 because of the impact of ...

30 Apr 2020

IPL 2020 suspended indefinitely

IPL 2020 suspended indefinitely

Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has suspended the Indian Premier League 2020 indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. BCCI secretary Jay Shah said that due to the evolving global health concerns regarding COVID-19 and lockdown measures implemented by the Government of India to contain...

19 Apr 2020

Hockey India postpones all its reschedul...

Hockey India postpones all its rescheduled nationa...

Hockey India postponed all its rescheduled national championships indefinitely after the national lockdown to contain the COVID-19 pandemic was extended till May 3. These tournaments were rescheduled to start on April 29 and continue till July 3 but have been suspended for now. Hockey India Presiden...

14 Apr 2020

Former Cricketer Lost His Life To COVID

Former Cricketer Lost His Life To COVID

The novel coronavirus which has spread to more than 200 nations across the world has now struct the Cricketing world resulting in the death of the former cricketer. Going into detail, former Pakistani cricketer Zafar Sarfaraz who plays first-class cricket breathed his last breath battling the dreade...

14 Apr 2020

Sports minister visits SAI headquarters,...

Sports minister visits SAI headquarters, essential...

Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju on Monday visited the Sports Authority of India's headquarter where senior officials and other essential staff resumed operations after more than a fortnight of working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The minister visited the SAI headquarters here wearing a mask a...

13 Apr 2020

Nothing is in favour of any kind of spor...

Nothing is in favour of any kind of sport, forget ...

The Board of Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) President Sourav Ganguly admitted that the chances of the 2020 season of the Indian Premier League (IPL) starting any time soon is bleak. Ganguly said that he will be able to give a concrete update on whether the IPL will be further deferred after spea...

13 Apr 2020